We are using Scientific Method in class. One component is to learn to make detailed observations of changes in our experiment.
Here is an example of our first attempt at making observations. We are also learning to try to control variables and use accurate measurements.
8/28 - Day 1: On the first day of planting our plants you could clearly see the fertilizer, soil, brownish water, seeds, and the water plant. We added 4 different kinds of seeds. We got the seeds from the Pete Dye golf course. We added 2 centimeters of water. The soil contained sphagnum moss and pearlite to retain water and improve drainage.
8/31 - Day 2: On the second day, when we observed we saw growth, we added 4 different kinds of seeds, the water was still a brownish color, you could see little sprouts on the water plant, and it also still had fertilizer. We put it by an air vent.
9/2 - Day 3:On the third day, the water was almost dried out, the fertilizer started to turn yellow, you could still see few sprouts, we also put it by an air vent, we added 4 different types of seeds, and the soil was really soft and moist, and the water was brown.
9/4 - Day 4: On day four, the soil was still very dry, there was more yellow fertilizer than the day before, we added four different kinds of seeds, and we still have some sprouts, the water plant had grown. We put it by the air vent. We put it on a wrack.
9/8 - Day 5: Today the plants smelled terrible, it was super dry, the fertilizer was darker than the light yellow, the seeds were at the top because it was so dry we also had only a little sprouts because it was dying from the water drainage. we had it by the air vent , and on a wrack. we hope the sprouts will come again.
9/10 - Day 6: On the sixth day, we added ¼ of water, we had a couple sprouts hanging in there, fertilizer was still yellow but when we added water it was really wet, after we watered it we took it to the courtyard, we put it close to the steps hoping that we would see sprouts.
Conclusion: I think we learned a lot about plants and their germination. We did not get all of them to grow, but watching them grow was a fantastic experiment. We learned it could not survive in that habitat because it did not have the right nutrients and water.
We still want to know what type of soil it needs to grow. This will be our next experiment!